A Full Moon That Occurs between January 21st and February 18 will be inthe fiery sign of Leo.
This is the first full moon of 2016, and according to the Old Farmer's Almanac Native American's called January's full moon "The Wolf Moon". January is the cold winter period where wolves howl loudly to communicate with their pack members, mostly in hunger. Their howls could be heard all throughout the silent hills and outside of the Native villages. Wolf lore has long been associated to the full moon. In modern culture, many associate wolves with "negative" qualities such as darkness or evil (werewolves). However, Native Americans have had the greatest symbolism for wolves including intellect, and loyalty. Many great tribes modeled themselves after the Wolf in their powerful hunting methods, cooperation and efficiency.
- In history, the Wolf appears with the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. Legend has it that the two founding brothers were raised and suckled by a she-wolf.
- In Norse mythology, the Wolf is a symbol for victory when ridden by Odin and the Valkyries upon the battlefield.
- As a Celtic symbol the Wolf was a source of lunar power. Celtic lore states that the Wolf would hunt down the sun and devour it at each dusk so as to allow the power of the moon to come forth.
- In Asia, the wolf guards the doors that allow entrance to heavenly, celestial realms. The Wolf is also said to be among the ancestry of Genghis Khan.
FULL MOON MAGIC
Use this time for matters concerning:
- Healing the heart and chest
"The heart region houses the power of our love. If we do not allow this to unfold, for whatever reason, then in the truest sense of the word we strangulate our heart. We have allowed ourselves to be persuaded that love is a sentimental feeling. It is not. the essence of feelings is their constant variation ; they are merely the accompanying symptoms of other things- thoughts and perceptions. One cannot build on something that is constantly altering like quicksand. Love is the thing that maintains us in life, that inspires us, that is always there- for you and for all of us. But only when it is given unreservedly, without ulterior motives, and expectations. The more one gives of it, the more there is!" - Johanna Paungger
A Full moon in Leo meditation:
Light a gold or orange candle and anoint yourself using frankincense, cinnamon or orange. Sitting in silence breath in the sign of Leo and place it into your heart center. As you envision the golden color of the sun surrounding you, allow it to fill you with courage, strength, and fire. recognize the power of your individual self by repeating the mantra: "My will is strong and my calling is to express and illuminate. I choose to express that will with love".
- Citrine : abundance, joy, prosperity
- Carnelian: courage, protection, blood circulation
- Kunzite: Releases blocks of the heart, releases daily stress